The "Canopic" was built in 1900 for the Dominion Line as the "Commonwealth" by Harland & Wolff, Belfast; this was a 12,097 gross ton ship, length 578.3ft x beam 59.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a service speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 250-1st, 250-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers.
Launched on 31/5/1900, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Boston on 4/10/1900. In November 1901 she made the first of three Boston - Naples - Genoa round voyages and on 10/4/1902 resumed Liverpool - Boston sailings. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 5/11/1903 and then went to the White Star Line when they took over Dominion Line's Boston and Mediterranean services.
Renamed "Canopic", she resumed Liverpool - Boston voyages on 14/1/1904 and later the same month commenced Boston - Naples - Genoa sailings. On 23/8/1914 she started her first New York - Naples - Genoa - Boston - New York voyage, and arrived in Boston on her last crossing from Genoa and Naples on 30/3/1918. On 6/2/1919 she commenced her first Liverpool - Boston - New York voyage and on 27/2/1919 resumed New York - Mediterranean voyages. She made her last Genoa - Naples - Boston - New York voyage in October 1921 and on 13/4/1922 transferred to the Liverpool - Halifax - Boston route with cabin and 3rd class passengers. On 13/5/1922 she started the first of six Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal sailings and on 10/11/1922 transferred to the Bremen - Southampton - Halifax - New York service. Her last Hamburg - Southampton - Halifax - New York sailing was on 4/5/1924 and in September 1924 she made a single Liverpool - Philadelphia (arr.29/9/1924) round voyage.
She started her final voyage on 20/3/1925 when she left Liverpool for Halifax and Portland and in October of that year was scrapped at Briton Ferry.